Are you looking for a unique gift for a bird lover? Check out these 20 great gift ideas. People are passionate about birds, and most are looking for the very best products to care for and feed their feathered friends.
Well, this list will be a big help for you. I have chosen some good value and unique bird products that you can recommend to any bird lover whether they have a handful of birds or an aviary full of them.
I have a bird watcher myself. My wife loves to watch them and make photos of them. Below are the top 20 products for bird lovers.
|Charley Harper Original Birds Glasses||Best Overall|
|Ted & Jack||Budget Pick|
|CREATIVE XP Spotting Scope||Upgrade Pick|
1. Charley Harper Original Birds Glasses
- High-quality, hand painted art
- Vinyl case and chain included
- Great storage case
- Considering the high price, you might prefer to choose a single one for gifting
- Limited Styles
I'm not alone in being a huge fan of the latest edition to the House of Kitsch – the Charley Harper Original Birds Glasses. Created by Stewart Smith and designed by the great artist himself, these beautiful glasses will not only make a great gift – they'll also be loved by the recipient long after the occasion.
They're glasses, but not glasses. Each of the four glasses (Blue Jay, Scarlet Tanager, Yellow Warbler, and Great Egret) is the actual bird, from the artist's original paintings, enlarged and put on a glass so that people can gaze upon them in full. Available in small (at 10.5 ounces) and large (16 ounces), you can mix and match or buy both sets in one fell swoop.
They're officially licensed by Charley Harper's son, Brock, who notes that people are addicted to owning the more unusual items that they can get their hands on from his father's work. I can certainly see the continued intrigue and excitement that people have for Charley Harper's work. Every piece is different and every one is unique.
2. Blue Handworks Welcome Sign
Welcome home to your home with this adorable sign made from reclaimed wood. This is the perfect gift for the bird lover who enjoys putting their home on display in their front garden.
Since this sign is made from reclaimed wood the character of the wood is variable. You can tell that care was taken to ensure this product is uniformly handcrafted and that no trees were harmed in the making of this product.
3. Bird Gifts
- 100% printed, NOT heat transfer
- Good quality cotton t-shirt
- Printed on same day
- Original design by Funny Make Me Happy Design
- Great quality print for a great price!
4. Window Bird Feeder
- Made from shatterproof plastic
- The suction cups won’t damage your windows
- Trays to catch excess seed
- Drain holes in bottom
- Space-saving design
- Trash-free alternative to seed cakes
- Perfect for all types of birds
- Seed tray can become warped with weather exposure
- A little flimsy
This innovative window bird feeder from Gardener’s Supply Company is a great alternative to birdfeeders with seed cake in the bottom. At first, you may think plastic doesn’t have the power to hold suction to your window, but it does. The makers of this feeder put plenty of thought into that too as it holds plenty of seed. A nice feature they added is the large pocket for their seed tray. The seed tray will collect seeds that fall out of the feeder and make cleanup easy without a mess or waste. The grays on this feeder are a nice touch. The suction cups are bigger than similar products on the market as well. This is a great starter feeder. It’s perfect if your decor doesn’t involve natural wood because it’s a nice contrast to the clear plastic.
5. Squirrel Buster Standard Squirrel-proof Bird Feeder w/4 Metal Perches
- Bust squirrels and big birds from taking seed
- Black metal construction and green accents with 4 metal perches
- Holds 1.3 pounds of seed and is gravity fed
- Easily installs to most standard bird feeder poles
- Guaranteed to last longer than other top brands
- Squirrels are smart and persistent and will try other ways to get to the seed
- Works best with smaller birds
10.75-Inch x 6.5-Inch x 6.5-Inch
If no other device works to keep the squirrels away from your bird feeder, then a squirrel proof feeder should help. Squirrel proof feeders are designed to keep squirrels off of them by making it physically impossible for the squirrel to gain access. The feeder is made of metal wires or hard plastic that are too thin for a squirrel to get its paws through. The typical feeder methods for birds, like round or tube shaped, are impossible for squirrels to use.
Metal perches are one of the critical elements of the feeder, and this one has four metal perches, which simply make it physically impossible for squirrels to access that seed. Other feeders have either one perch or no perches, but this one has four to ensure that no squirrel will be able to access that seed.
6. CREATIVE XP Spotting Scope
- Ultra light for comfortable use
- Great magnification and clarity
- Comfortable carry strap is included
- Can be used for any outdoor activity, including hiking, bird watching, hunting and shooting
- The Tripod is lightweight and easy to open
- If you know someone who loves birds, you’ll be making a great choice with this scope
- Comes with a tripod that is a little flimsy
- Some customers reported shipping damage and leaky eyepieces
If you know someone who loves birds and is always looking for them, this spotting scope could be a perfect gift for them. It’s a great scope with exceptional magnification.
Not only will it allow you to see as far as you need to, but the eyepieces have a large viewing area so that you can use it anytime, anywhere.
7. Ted & Jack
- The scarf is extra long so it can be worn in dozens of different ways
- Material is soft and warm
- The material might not be as breathable as some fabrics
- Prints are printed and might fade after more than a few washes if sat in direct sunlight
"Ted & Jack offers clothing and accessories for the fashionable modern man. We focus on quality as well as price as we want to make our clothes accessible to as many people as possible. We look at the big picture and don't just focus on clothing as a stand-alone."
I’m a huge proponent of taking care of the planet and wildlife. This is why I love products like the Ted & Jack Bird Lovers Allover Songbird Print Scarf. It’s a beautiful scarf featuring printed birds. It’s soft, warm, and versatile enough for you to wear it multiple ways. The perfect gift for the bird lover in your life.
8. Gosky 12×55 High Definition Monocular Telescope and Quick Smartphone Holder
- Super clear optics
- Clear and accurate view of the birds
- Easily hand-held or can be mounted on a tripod
- Lightweight and compact
- The Gosky monocular comes with a microfiber case for traveling and protection
- Operates on a single CR2032 button battery that comes included
- Comes with a free smartphone mount compatible with both iPhone and Android phones
- Great value for the money compared to other monoculars
- Lifetime guarantee
Zoom is on top of the monocular. You have to hold it on your hand a bit to zoom in on birds.
The Gosky high definition waterproof monocular was handcrafted by a reputable company. The 12×55 monocular gives you a wide field of view, which is great for birdwatching and for outdoor activities.
You can view wildlife from far away or closely observe birds up close.
9. Nature's Way Bird Products CWH4 Cedar Bluebird Viewing House
- Large Easy-access 3" x 9" front entrance
- Equipped with two suction cups for hanging
- Made of cedar with wire mesh and metal
- Best for bluebirds
- Great value
- Easy to clean
- Easy to install
- Chipping may occur on the base
- Opening may be too small for large birds
- Instructions could be clearer
Are you a hardcore birdwatcher? Why not turn your backyard into a bird haven? Whether you’re trying to attract a variety of different birds or watching a flock of bluebirds, this house is an ideal home for those winged creatures.
This bluebird house has a three inch entrance and is 4.75 by 9 inches and has two suction cups for hanging. If you’re looking to attract bluebirds into your yard, this is an ideal design to do that.
10. Pennington Cedar Gazebo Bird Feeder
- It’s made from wood with recycled plastics
- It can hold up to 20 lb of seed
- Includes double suction cups to attach it to any window or glass surface
- It is extra-large
If the Pennington Cedar Gazebo Bird Feeder fits the bill, here’s some good news: it’s a great bargain for a gift. It’s designed to last for years, and it’s a simple but fun way to get your neighborhood bird watchers outside to commune with the feathered friends.
It measures just over 18 inches high, and more than 15 inches in diameter, which makes it big enough for large birds to eat comfortably.
It’s made from a cedar wood/recycled plastic combo, and it’s treated to resist water damage. What’s more, this feeder comes with suction cups to secure it to a window, or to mount it on a tree branch or any other vertical surface.
11. Victure Trail Game Camera 16MP
Birding has grown in popularity in the past few years, and with this popularity has come a myriad of products geared toward bird lovers. Whether you're just getting into birding, or you're already an advanced birders, we've got you covered.
This gift set from Victure includes a camera for bird watching that will not only take stunning photos, but also record audio and video.
The trail game camera runs on 8 AA batteries, which are not included. A 16 megapixels camera with 4x digital zoom, with a range of 40 to 60 feet, the camera is waterproof up to IP66 specifications.
12. Birds of the Photo Ark
- Colorful Pictures
- A Great Gift Idea
- Adult or Child Minded
- No Specific Locations Listed
- No Videos
My wife got me this book for Christmas 2017 and all I can say is WOW! My uncle used to make these great nature documentaries (NFL Films) for PBS and I had always wanted to get into that industry. I always thought it would just be too expensive to collect all the necessary gear. This book has shown me that collecting the pictures are cheaper than I thought.
13. The Sibley Guide to Birds
This is the book for serious birders. Detail on everything from anatomy to behavior, preferred habitat to migration patterns, bill color to plumage. It’ll educate you and keep you entertained, too.
14. Effin' Birds: A Field Guide to Identification
- Colorful and easy to use
- Fun way for kids to learn about birds
15. Peterson Field Guide to Birds of North America
- Full color photos, range maps and range descriptions
- Compact field guide is easy to take on hikes
- Size and weight make it better as a reference book for frequent birders as opposed to a field guide for beginners
- Range maps are difficult to read on small screens
The Peterson Field Guide, if you can find it online, is the best book out there for identifying local and commonly seen birds. It wins over rivals mostly by being the least expensive (for what you get), very portable, and easy to use.
It has great illustrations, range maps that are both large and readable at a glance, data on relative abundance for each species, and photos of every species to supplement the drawings and help eliminate doubt about a specific bird.
The artwork is phenomenal with a wide variety of beautiful birds and the pictures give you a much better chance of identifying birds out in the field. And birds aren’t the only gorgeous creatures this book portrays.
16. National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
- Wide range of birds
- Foldout guide with lots of information
- Attractive color
If you're a birder, your goal is to be able to pick out birds by sight (and sound), not by name. This is an excellent guide for that purpose. The large number of color photos help the bird ID process immensely.
The photos have uniquely assigned letter pairs (rather than names) which is good in that everyone is using the same photos for reference, but bad in that they aren't organized in any meaningful way for an untrained eye. There also isn't much text, but each page does have a paragraph on a variation of the bird it shows to explain how you can be fooled into thinking a bird isn't what it is.
The authors show birds on perching and in flight. They also mention behavior at times. The guide is organized by color, as opposed to many other introductory field guides which are organized by bird groups. There's a discussion of the "somewhat confusing nomenclature" (which is "a mess") when the guide first starts, which is nice to see for the new birder.
17. BARSKA Gladiator Binocular
- Useful if you are interested in bird watching
- Come with rainproof casing that makes them durable
- Range of magnification
- Best to use at night
- Can be used in different angles (for example, can be adjusted to be held like a hand camera while you look up at the sky)
- Great for both adults and children
- Binoculars are not easy to use for a beginner
- May be too much for an amateur beginner
- Are unable to be focused once bought
If you are interested in bird watching and want to learn more about this hobby, you might want to consider getting a pair of BARSKA binocular. This particular model is great for looking up at the sky and can be a way for you to look at more stars when you visit places especially during spring where more migratory birds are present.
The good thing about the BARSKA binocular is that it has a range of magnification up to 20x which is something that you might want since it will let you look at the stars up close. At the same time, it comes in a rainproof casing that makes it durable when you use it.
18. The Mincing Mockingbird: Guide to Troubled Birds
Birds cause a lot of trouble—from damaging crops, to picking at the sealant around your windows at night. Identifying the birds causing the damage can be a daunting task.
Field guides and identification books can be a bit overwhelming as well. This is precisely what makes Lars Maximilian Giersberg’s book The Mincing Mockingbird great.
The guide is extremely well structured. It’s organized according to bird families, which mimics how you would see these birds in the wild.
19. World Source East GP0110ES Harbor Gardens Bird Bath
- Made from high-quality ceramic material
- High-gloss finish with beautiful colors
- The drainage holes in the bottom make it easy to clean
- It’s larger than most other bird baths, and will accept a variety of birds
- The bright colors will help attract wild birds to the bath
- Easy to relocate and store in the winter
After the large Dutch Texel vase in last month’s list, another piece from the same brand is the current top bird bath in our list. This 24-inch-tall lightweight ceramic bird bath is a bright light blue and in a classic birdbath design.
It’s large enough to attract a wide variety of birds, or even multiple birds at the same time, and the drainage holes in the bottom makes it easy to clean. You can leave it outside during the fall, winter and spring, and bring it into the garage or shed in the summer.
The color is a gorgeous light blue color that looks perfect in any yard and attracts a variety of birds. The size is a bit larger than other bird baths, and measures 24 x 14 x 9 inches. It’s very durable, and built to last for years.
20. Nikon COOLPIX P900 Digital Camera
- Incredible images
- Top of the line auto focus
- Ability to switch between auto and manual exposure capture
- Comes with a case made from a banana leaf
- Incredibly heavy: about 2.8 pounds
- No tripod mount
The Nikon Coolpix P900 is hands down the best camera to bring with you on a birdwatching trip. The P900 takes incredible 12mp photos that the birds themselves would be envious of. It’s amazing ability to focus distances of up to 3 meters makes it perfect for snapping photos of birds up-close, making it a favorite among professional photographers.
NHK, Japan’s largest broadcasting station, has used the P900 extensively in its bird documentaries, and they can’t praise it enough.
Equipped with a 90x optical zoom, beyond 3X optical zoom, the Nikon P900 is hands down the most powerful zoom camera in the market currently.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What to buy someone who loves birds?
Here are the top 20 best gifts for birdwatchers and lovers!
What do you give a birder?
It’s a question every bird lover has asked, yet very few of us can answer with anything other than a knowing smile.
The truth is, giving a birder a gift can be challenging. Pretty bird feeders help but they’re not exactly exciting. Pretty binoculars have the same problem and most birders already have a nice pair. Ornithology books? Sadly, most of us already have one or two.
But what do you give a serious birder that they don’t already have? The answer is, you look for something unusual that they might like, something that will bring a smile to their face and bring enjoyment to their life. Here are some ideas.
What do you buy a nature lover?
This is the age of the bird-watcher. Many people have bought binoculars and field guides, but there’s always something out there that fits the bill perfectly. The real challenge is figuring out which of these 20 things to buy.
What are the best bird feeders?
One of the first things you should do is think about where you want to put the bird feeder. This will depend on how much room you have. Bird feeders come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and materials-metal or plastic, for example. Some are designed to withstand bad weather and others are meant to be decorative.
Another consideration when choosing a bird feeder is whether or not it will attract other nuisance birds, such as wasps, jays, pigeons, and squirrels. This is one reason why a decorative feeder might not be a good idea. Wire feeders may also attract squirrels, but they’re a good choice since they’ll also keep out wasps and other insects.
Once you make your choice, if the feeder is hung from a tree, you might want to put a baffle under it to keep it from swinging.
Choosing a gift for a bird lover isn't as difficult as you might think.
Since there are so many kinds of lovers from across the spectrum – from clothes free to casual to avid hunters – choosing a gift for them is a matter of asking the right questions to find out the things they love about the birds they’re passionate about.
This article looks at the most common bird lover species and the things they love to do while they’re watching a bird feeder. That way you can choose a gift that’s appropriate for the type of bird lover you’re buying for.
|Charley Harper Original Birds Glasses||Best Overall|
|Ted & Jack||Budget Pick|
|CREATIVE XP Spotting Scope||Upgrade Pick|